Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Mexican Joe with Baked Broccoli Frittata

 I was just reading different cookbooks to figure out what I wanted to cook for supper. Wasn't really in the mood for anything.  I came across Mexican Joe.... It is alot like Sloppy Joe.
  • 1 pound burger
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 4.5 oz can chopped green chiles, undrained
  • 2 tablespoons of  low sodium Taco Seasoning
  • 1 8 oz can of no-salt added Tomato sauce
  • Rolls
Cook the burger and onions til browned and tender, add chiles, taco seasoning and sauce, stirring well. Cook over med heat stirring often. Let it simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Spoon over rolls.



I then decided to use up some eggs. I have my own chickens.. 90 + and right now even in the dead of winter I have plenty of eggs. I also have plenty of cheese as we LOVE cheese.

  • 2 cups of broccoli cut and cooked and drained
  • 2 tbsp of butter
  • 1 cup sliced onions
  • 1/2 cup red and green peppers mixed
  • 2 cloves of garlic minced
  • 6 eggs
  • 1/2 cup half and half
  • 1/2 tsp of basil and thyme
  • 1/2 tsp seasoned salt or lemon pepper seasoning
  • 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
Heat oven to 425 Generously grease a 2-qt casserole dish. Melt butter in a large skillet over med-low heat. Add onion, and peppers and garlic, cook and stir until tender. Cool slightly.
In a large bowl, combine eggs, half and half and seasonings.. Beat well. Add onion mixture and broccoli. Mix well. Pour into the casserole dish. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until set. Top will be moist. Let stand 5 min before serving.






It was Wonderful and spicy... The frattata cooled the spicy Mexican Joe down some.  I think next time I would maybe have some nacho chips instead of the rolls and add some sour cream and melted cheese... yummy. Now that sounds good.. may have to make that soon!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds good.. The Mexican Joe would definitely be something I would make... and the Frattata I would make but I would probably be the only one who would eat it..
    Good Job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just took the leftover Frattat and warmed it up for breakfast.. put some salsa on it.. YUMMY.. I think I like it that way even better!

    ReplyDelete