Sunday, March 27, 2011

Mexi Shells Lasanga style * low Fat*

Hello there... It was a bright sunny but cold Sunday morning when I decided to try  Mexi Shells. I THOUGHT I had shells but no such luck. Finding Lasagna noodles I decided to use them instead.

  • 18 uncooked jumbo pasta shells.. * I used lasagna noodles*
  • 32 oz of no salt added tomato sauce
  • 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 lb extra lean ground beef
  • 1 small onion chopped
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 can ( 4.5 oz) chopped green chilies drained
  • 1 can ( 15 or 16 oz ) chili with beans, undrained
  • 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella * I used 3 cheese cheddar*
Heat oven to 350. Cook pasta as directed on package.  Meanwhile in a medium bowl, mix tomato sauce, flour, chili powder and 2 teaspoons of cumin. Set aside.
In a 2 qt saucepan cook beef and onion til no longer pink. Drain, Stir in 1 teaspoon cumin, the cilantro, green chilies and chili beans.

Drain pasta. In a ungreased 13 x 9 inch glass baking dish, spread 1 cup of the tomato sauce mixture. Spoon about 1 1/2 tablespoons of beef mixture into each shell.  Place filled side up on sauce in dish. Pour the rest of the sauce mixture over shells. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and let stand 10 stand before serving.
Now seeing I did not have shells I layered it like lasagna. It was very good. I think if you did not want to make it low fat, I would make some corn bread to have along side it. And I would top it with ricotta cheese.

1 comment: