Thursday, January 27, 2011

Ham and Potatoes, cabbage casserole with Darn Good Chocolate Cake

Today is National Chocolate Cake Day so you know I had to finish up the meal with chocolate cake! But before cake you need to eat your dinner.. so on that note...

I took bag of frozen hash brown potatoes, can of cream of chicken soup, 1 can of evaporated milk, 2 cups of cooked ham and 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese..  I mixed them all together and threw them into a greased slow cooker. Set it on low and let cook for 5-6 hours.




I was thinking.. what goes well with Ham? hmmm CABBAGE!!!  I took one med head of cabbage and cooked til it was tender. Reserving 1/2 cup of the cabbage broth , drained the cabbage and laid one layer of cabbage on the bottom of a casserole dish. Next I layered cracker crumbs over the cabbage, with a layer of grated sharp cheddar over that. Repeated. Then I took a can of cream of celery soup mixed it with the reserved broth and poured it over the casserole. Baked at 350 until bubbly hot.




As for the cake..I got out my Gluten-free book.  * son needed gluten free food growing up*
Grabbed a chocolate gluten free cake mix and in the mixing bowl with it put,  2 tbs of cocoa powder, 1 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup veg oil, 3 large eggs and 2 tsp vanilla extract. mixed on low til just incorporated.  Scrap the sides down and turn to med and mix 2 minutes scraping the sides down as needed. Turn off the mixer and add 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips. Pour the batter into a bundt pan that has been misted with veg oil and dusted with cocoa powder.  Bake the cake til the center springs back when lightly pressed. 45 - 50 minutes,  Transfer the pan to a wire rack. Cook for  10 minutes. Run a knife around the pan and the edge of the cake. Shake the pan gently and invert the cake onto a wire rack to cook completely. 15- 20 minutes. Transfer cake to a serving plate and dust with confectioners sugar. 




Now you ask.. how well did my family like the meal.... I LOVED the cabbage casserole... Hubby didn't really care for it. I thought the ham and pototoes were okay.. Hubby loved them.  As for the chocolate cake... EVERYONE like it *lol*

No comments:

Post a Comment